our work

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

No Excuses!

I am currently recovering from the most unpleasant illness I have EVER experienced in my life! I have strep throat. I don't just have the "regular" version, which is nasty enough. I have the kind of strep throat you get when you should have been on antibiotics for days and were too stubborn and busy to go to the doctor. For three solid days, my fever was rarely below 103! I took bath after bath and sat in the broiling sun to get warm on those days and even that wasn't sufficient to stop the chattering teeth and muscle aches. I can shine a flashlight down my throat while looking in the mirror and see scabs on my tonsils . . . okay, I'm venturing into "TMI" land (Too Much Information) aren't I?
Today is the first day I've left the house in 5 days and it was glorious! I almost broke into song in the isles of Wal Mart while deciding which style Hot Pocket my teens would like for their co-op lunches this week! I have a much greater understanding of human suffering. I know that sounds melodramatic but it's true! By day 3 of the fever, chills and stabbing pains with each swallow, I began to feel despondent. I prayed, begged and maybe even tried to bargain with God for some relief. He answered by slowly healing me through the wonders of Penicillin. I was praying for a "put your hand on the TV and repeat after me and you will be healed" type thing - no dice!
While lying in bed this week, I finished the book "Radical" by Dr. David Platt. It rocked my world! It convicted me about the pursuits of my heart and my lack of true brokenness for the lost. I felt very ashamed that, in light of our friend's financial issue, I was ready to throw in the towel on pursuing the adoption of Francis from The Philippines! I am weak and easily discouraged, I guess, but I want to be that young man's mother and I believe he was created to be in this family. If the funding for his adoption is not coming to us in one giant check with no effort on our part, does this mean we are free to walk away? Absolutely not! In light of all that God has done in bringing us 5 amazing children and the testimonies that come with each one, we can not assume that God has said "no" because one door has closed. With renewed health and renewed purpose, we are asking, once again, for more than we deserve - another miracle from the Lord. The Bible is clear that "you have not because you ask not". I am asking . . .no begging . . . for God to do another "radical" work in our lives and make a way for us to adopt this young man before he ages out of the system - time is short and so are funds but praise be to God, he controls them both!!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better! I have heard so much about that book. The title has been everywhere I turn. Reckon that's God saying, "Sabrina, read it."? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finished "Radical" a few weeks ago and I'm ready to read it cover to cover again--there's so much in there to absorb! And yes, I too am very convicted over my lack of passion for the lost and the TRUE cost of following a Radical God into a Radical way of living!!!

    I'm so glad you're feeling better. I had the same experience with strept throat over 9yrs. ago and I STILL remember that weekend from you know where until I went to the doctor that Monday. ugh!

    Hang in there. Praying for a miracle for the adoption of Francis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob's hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. Then the man said, "let me go, for it is daybreak."
    But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me."
    The man asked him, "What is your name?"
    "Jacob," he answered.
    Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome."
    Genesis 32:24-28
    God gave me this verse for you, bless you and your family, I'll be praying for a miracle!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "mamaluv5", thank you so much for this! We don't know each other and you have no way of knowing this but . . . our family decided if we were ever able to bring Francis home, we would change his name to "Israel" and call him "Izzy" . . . yeah . . . WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi There,
    What a parallel week we have had. I had the mother of all sore throats too. Awoke Tues morn feeling normal, by mid afternoon started going down hill. Tues night I could no longer eat, swallow or talk. Knowing this was no ordinary sore throat at 4 am as I soaked my head in a pot of steaming water, I hustled my rear end into my Dr's office the next morning. I suspected Strep as well. No dice but she put me on antibiotics anyway. Praise God for modern medicine... is all I can say at this point. I mean it!!! In any other country I probably would have been in the emergency room by the second night. Praise, praise, praise!!!!
    Lisa
    ps-So glad you are feeling better as well.
    pss-I am in the middle of Radical as we speak and love it too. Love your conviction regarding moving forward with your next adoption despite the circumstances!!!

    ReplyDelete