Sunday, June 12, 2011

He Knew

 From Psalm 139
13For you formed my inward parts;
   you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
14I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works;
   my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,when I was being made in secret,
   intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16Your eyes saw my unformed substance;in your book were written, every one of them,
   the days that were formed for me,
   when as yet there was none of them.

I love this passage of scripture! It speaks right to a mother's heart.  I remember reading it when I was only 24 years old and pregnant with my first precious child.  I never worried about his "health" or "condition" while he grew inside because I knew that God was doing the "knitting" and whatever He chose to create would be just right.  I refused all prenatal testing except for the ultrasound because I just loved to look at him.   "Fearfully and wonderfully made"? No doubt!  He and his biological sister were both deeply-wanted, longed-for miracles and I was in awe of them from the moment the "stick" turned blue (ha ha). I still am.  I knew God had a special plan for these babies and I could not wait to be a part of that plan!

Now that I am an experienced  adoptive parent, this passage of scripture has taken on new relevance.  It is no less true of our adopted children as it is of our biological children. Some of our adopted children have terribly sad birth circumstances, yet they are still "wonderful works".  One of our sons has Down Syndrome (a condition which, when diagnosed prenatally in the US results in a 90% abortion rate) and  it is so obvious to us, and all who know him, that he was intricately woven together in his mother's womb.  He is a cherished part of this family and our shiny star!

Reading this passage of scripture always makes my heart go out to our boys' birthmothers.  How could they know, in their most desperate circumstances, that something wonderfully God-ordained would come from their pain?   I wish I could talk to these women, thank them, and let them know that a loving Heavenly Father did not let their legacy end in tragedy.   I pray for them often. I ask God to reveal Himself to these women and comfort them, especially on my sons' birthdays.   To a God who knits and weaves only beautiful things, I say  "yes, your works ARE wonderful! My soul knows it VERY well."  

Vision Forum, Quiverfull and Pretending

 If you were a homeschool mom in the late 90s and  into the 2000s like me, you may have been confronted with your feelings of complete inade...