Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Great Day

Today was a great day!  My sister and her 3 wonderful kiddos (ages 14,12 and 8) live four hours away. We decided to meet at a Cracker Barrel restaurant that is exactly 2 hours from each of us and have lunch.
Due to a big snow storm at Christmas time, we never got to exchange gifts. We met and had breakfast for lunch and then went to the parking lot of the restaurant and exchanged gifts.  It was FREEZING but the kids had a blast. My 9 year old son got the "snuggie" he has been longing for and I got a new pair of black clogs (timely since the ones I wore to the restaurant were ripped on one side - ha ha). Ezekiel got a Curious George jack-in-the-box that he is smitten by and the older kids got some great clothing and Black Ops for playstation 3. It was such fun watching everyone enjoying these well thought out gifts and just having fun together.
On the drive home, I got to pondering just how blessed I am with this family. My kids LOVE spending time with their cousins. My sister is one of my best friends.
There's no way for Francis to know this yet but he's coming into  a pretty great family if I do say so myself.
The love and support here is no small thing.  I have friends who are estranged from much of their family or who have not spoken to siblings in years due to unresolved conflict.  I know others who were only children and have built their own support network from church friends or neighbors. 
I just have to praise God for the extended family He has given me and let those people know I don't take them for granted.
Photos from today's "chow down" will follow soon . . .
 We are freezing our buns off standing outside (above)
 Me and my beautiful sister (left)
Ezekiel LOVED his gift!
The girls making goofy faces (but still cute)

The boys are "too cool" to lean in very close for a picture . . .

Trinity and Kyle . . .LOVE hanging out together!

Vision Forum, Quiverfull and Pretending

 If you were a homeschool mom in the late 90s and  into the 2000s like me, you may have been confronted with your feelings of complete inade...