our work

Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Coincidence #2"

As promised in my previous post, I'll share "coincidence" #2 in this post. First, let me mention as background, my husband and I have been vigorously following Dave Ramsey's "baby steps" as laid out in the book "The Total Money Makeover" for about 4 months now. We are on "baby step three" and trying to stay very disciplined with our spending so we can reach our goals. (My goal? Another Philippine adoption - shhhh).
Yesterday I told my husband I needed to run some errands and exactly how much money these errands might cost. He gave a set amount to spend based on our budget and off I went. I am not much of a numbers gal (he's the "nerd", I'm the "free spirit") so I went to several stores, getting the items I needed while mentally rounding and estimating what I was spending. When I arrived home, I added up the receipts and they totaled EXACTLY TO THE PENNY the amount my husband had set aside for these errands!!!!!!! I re added to make sure it wasn't an error on my part and, sure enough, the amount was EXACT to the cent! I don't know if this "coincidence" was more of a blessing to me or to Anthony but we just looked at each other with a "God is in control" nod, understanding that when we try to be good stewards of what we've been given, we get a LOT of help from the Lord. We already know that when we're careless and wasteful, the opposite is true. I know this is really a small "event" and I pondered whether or not I was making too much of it. Is it even worth blogging?
I could not get past the thought that if God deemed it worth doing, I should find it worth sharing. Maybe someone will stumble on this blog who needs some encouragement about just how much God cares about the "little stuff" . . .

5 comments:

  1. I love hearing stories of God's provisions great AND small. Congratulations on going through the Dave Ramsey stuff. We did the "baby steps" a few years ago and it really helped us get back on track financially!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved hearing both stories! Thanks for sharing them. God really is good and He cares even about the little things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is awesome! It is so easy to forget that everything we own is from His hands and really belongs to Him. Kudos to you for being good stewards.(And best wishes on that next adoption):)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful to see God moving in our lives and on our behalf. I am GLAD you shared!

    Perhaps we would benefit from Dave Ramsey's book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! We are doing the Dave Ramsey thing...took a course at our church January-March. Loved it and how it has changed our thinking. And my goal is the same as yours...saving up for another adoption!!! Too many cute faces forever impressed on my mind...I want another little one!

    ReplyDelete