Saturday, May 29, 2010

Coincidence? I think NOT!

In the past two days I have had two events take place in my life that, although seemingly small, have shone a spotlight on just how much God cares for me. First, I went to pick up my twelve year old son from tennis practice. On the way, our little car started to feel "funny". I pulled into the nearest gas station in order to get a diet coke and give the car a rest. There was nowhere to park when I pulled in. I had to pull directly in front of the pump. When I came out of the gas station. My little car simply would not start. I laid my head on the steering wheel and thought "not today, Lord". Just then a tap on my window startled me. It was a kind older gentleman carrying a gas can he was preparing to fill. He said "it sounds to me like you're out of gas young lady." I looked down at my gas gauge and, sure enough - the big "E"!!!
Red faced, I thanked the gentleman, filled the car and drove away. And then it hit me:
had I parked in an actual parking space, I could not have gassed up without someone helping me push the car to the pump. I would have been late in picking up my son and certainly would have incurred the "wrath" of a husband who has asked me repeatedly not to let the needle fall below a quarter of a tank! But no, my Heavenly Father saw fit to let me run out of gas while literally parked at the pump! The overwhelming sense of humility that followed that "coincidence" is indescribable. I have NOT been consistent with my quiet times lately. I have not even been as faithful in the "little things" as I usually am and yet, God still chose to "bail me out" of what could have been a sticky situation that was clearly of my own making. Yes, I've done the same for my own kids: removed the consequences due them just because I love them. No, not always but, as a parent, you know when mercy is due and when justice must be swift.
I'll save the second "coincidence" for another post as this one has gotten quite lengthy.
"Cast all your cares on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

Vision Forum, Quiverfull and Pretending

 If you were a homeschool mom in the late 90s and  into the 2000s like me, you may have been confronted with your feelings of complete inade...